Monday, February 8, 2010

Home School Update

It has been a long time since I have blogged and I apologize.  Things have been a bit busy and blogging hasn't been on my priority lists unfortunately.  I wanted to catch you up on what has been going on in our lives lately and Samuel's schooling is a big part of that.
 
Well, this blog isn't easy for me to write because in a lot of ways I don't want to write it.  I have been home schooling Samuel since September and even though he was learning a lot and I really enjoyed teaching him and seeing him learn we were really struggling.  It was very hard for him to be motivated most days and when he would push, I would push back.  I know this is just normal kid stuff, but it was very taxing on me and him too.  We had gone back and forth on whether or not to send him to the little private school in Boom Creek Village, Living Word Primary School. 
 
Finally, after many tears (from me) and prayers we decided to give private school a try.  He started about a week and a half ago on January 27th, a Wednesday.  We decided that Wednesday would be a good day for him to go because on Wednesdays is when Rhonda Farley goes out to the school with the teachers.  This way, Rhonda could look out for him on his first day.  The Farleys are our team members here with Global Outreach and they send their daughter Hannah (11 yrs.)  to Living Word. 
 
Each morning at 7 a.m. Miss. Ruth, the Principal teacher at Living Word, and Miss Alice, another teacher, pull up in a little red Jeep to pick up Hannah and Samuel and take them to school.  It takes them about 45 minutes to get to the school from where we live.  He returns home each day at around 3:15 p.m.  He seems to really be enjoying this new change and is doing well so far.  We have talked to his teacher, Miss Samaria, and she says that he is smart and is doing well. 
 
If all goes well, we plan to let him finish out the school year there.  We are still praying about next year.  I do want to home school him if I can, but we might have to put it on hold for a while.
 
Thank all of you for your prayers.  Please continue to pray for us.  This wasn't an easy decision (and I am still getting use to it) but we think that right now it is best for our family and for Samuel.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Oh, buddy, I know that was a hard decision!! I was just talking to someone here about how our lives are so fluid and ever-changing, that just because we make a change doesn't mean we have failed (it was another missionary who also had just decided to put her home-schooled kids in an MK school here in Lima)! We are praying that this change will be what's best for your family right now and that it will ultimately bring glory to God as I know you and Cohen have prayed!! You guys are awesome!! Love you!!