Sunday, May 23, 2010

This Morning's Devotional


I stayed home from Church this morning because we have two sick little ones. As I was finally sitting down for breakfast it was almost 9 a.m. Everyone else had eaten except for me :-) That is okay though because at least now I can eat my breakfast in peace without having to feed anyone else. And this is because I have such a wonderful husband who fed everyone while I cleaned up our sweet little Nathanael (and his bed) after having some tummy issues from teething (we think).

I decided that as I eat I would try to read my devotional and Bible. I opened my devotional,Voices of the Faithful - Inspiring Stories of Courage from Christians Serving Around the World, and started reading. Thanks Julie :-) for my early b-day gift! This book is full of one page devotionals written by missionaries from all over the world. I can often relate to the devotionals in this book, but today I can relate especially! Even down to the prayer at the end. Wow!


May 23

A ministry of interruptions

"Whatever you do, do it enthusiastically, as something done for the Lord and not for men" Colossians 3:23

Brother! The electricity was off again. "Don't open the fridge, kids!" The washing machine was full of clothes after buckets of water had been brought by a man on a bicycle. I couldn't finish the load.

At least we could do homeschool lessons without electricity. "Everybody ready?" I asked. Knock, Knock. Going to see who was at the door, I saw that it had started to rain. "Kids, run to the clothesline and take the laundry down fast! Grab the buckets to catch the rainwater from the gutters!" On days like these, even the first item on my to-do list is not checked off.

Scenarios like this happen frequently. Between the inconveniences of living in an African village, the need of family, and the constant knocking at the door by villagers, sometimes I wonder when "ministry" will ever happen.

Yet what am I here for? My idea of ministry may not match God's definition. His goal for me is to bring HIm glory in the little things and not just in the big things. Being reminded of this goal has changed my outlook on the interruptions of each day. Each interruption is an opportunity to serve the Lord by loving the people God brings my way.

- Cara, Sub-Saharan African Peoples

My Rock and Salvation, it is refreshing to know that others face the same kind of crazy days that I face! Please help me conform my attitude toward interruptions with Your will. Help missionaries serve enthusiastically, always bringing You glory. Amen


Oh how I can relate to Cara! And I am sure she has it harder than I do in a lot of ways! At least I don't have to fill my washer up with buckets of water or catch rain water from the gutters :-) I really felt the Lord speaking to me through Cara's words this morning because I didn't feel so enthusiastic yesterday when it was Saturday and I had tons of laundry, a stinky bathroom that needed to be cleaned, a sink full of dishes and no running water. Not to mention it was so hot and I was tired of sweating and look at those fans, they are so dirty. I need to clean those too! On top of that, lunch was getting close and I didn't even feel like handling that right then. Did I mention that our internet connection was being stubborn as well??? Arrrghhh!!! "Lord, help me today please!"

Oh yes, today's devotional was for me! It might have even been for you too! It is so comforting to know that we are not alone in our daily struggles. It is even more comforting to know that I have help from the Lord no matter what my struggles are! Thanks to the Lord, I am doing much better today :-) I hope you are too!




No comments: